07 July 2009

My s%it is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s

I brought a banana with me to work today for a mid-morning snack. As I sat eating it just a bit ago, I wondered why the damn things are so inexpensive. A quick Google search led me to a slew of information on bananas. This article from the New York Times gives a breakdown. Bananas are cheap because:

1. The corporations that grow and distribute built a solid infrastructure;
2. The workers are treated like crap;
3. And they only grow one variety, the Cavendish, which allows growers to reap the benefits of economies of scale.

A Freakonomics blog post pointed me to this page, which has a bunch of interesting banana info. Did you know India is the largest world producer of bananas? I was shocked. I thought bananas only grew in tropical climates. And did you know that there is enough energy in two bananas to sustain you through strenuous 90-minute workout? I'll definitely be eating more bananas before my Ultimate matches from now on.

No comments: